Exactly as it says in the title here are 5 things I think you should know about me.
1. I have two children (Charlie and Maddie) from two different relationships a decade apart in age. I had charlie in my twenties and bounced back pretty well. I was heavily into being ‘skinny’ and dieted my way down to my lowest ever weight. After having Maddie last year at the age of 35, everything felt different, harder, slower, more frustrating. I had eaten cake everyday of my pregnancy and although I enjoyed every mouthful, I just wasn’t prepared for how I would feel about the body that remained after she was born.
2. I have Crohns disease. I was diagnosed in 2009 after 18 months of tests and unexplained pain and symptoms. If you see scars on my stomach in my pictures they are from the emergency surgeries I had to remove 10cms of bowel, and one of my Fallopian tubes. Before I overhauled my body and my lifestyle I managed my Crohns with a daily maintenance medication. (Azathioprine for anyone who’s curious.) But by committing to a healthy lifestyle, eating clean and maintaining a fit and active body, I have kept my Crohns in remission naturally and without any medical intervention. (Oh and yes, I managed to conceive Maddie naturally with only one Fallopian tube even though I had been told I couldn’t have any more children.)
3. I’m half Indian and half English but I’ve lived in Wales all my life so I consider my self Welsh (as does my accent.)
4. I’m divorced. I met my now ex-husband when I was 16 years old. We had a 13 year long relationship that gave me my son Charlie. Meeting that young ultimately meant we were different people by the time we got our thirties and it was painful to realize we no longer brought out the best in each other. Now at age 35, I’m James’ Girlfriend. The romantic in me loves to hope that one day I’ll be a wife again, but I’m pretty happy the way things are. We are a family and everyone is loved, so we already have everything we need.
5. I’m the eternal optimist. I believe in everything. I believe every special offer is a good deal, I believe every fad diet will work and that everyone I meet is a nice person. I’m constantly proved wrong but I still continue to believe these things nonetheless… and I hope I never change. It’s nice to have unwavering faith that ultimately life is good.
Anyway that’s enough about me for now… We can talk more about life, divorce and babies later ;0)